Cavanico iL Mare - Our Last Hoorah for Summer 2018

June is almost around the corner and we only got about 2 weeks before classes officially starts, so the husband and myself decided to tre...


June is almost around the corner and we only got about 2 weeks before classes officially starts, so the husband and myself decided to treat the bebe to the beach. So she could join in the “huling hirit sa tag-init” bandwagon. We wanted to go out of our comfort zones and try a classier beach which meant more expensive than the usual resorts we go to. I researched for resorts in Samal and we decided for Cavanico iL Mare as it was still within our allotted budget.





The original plan was just for the three of us but then my husband’s cousins wanted to join in and also my aunt wanted to join as well and it was more fun because there were so many of us. Since we have our own motorcycle, my husband just picked us up in turns so that we could save from the transpo costs (which is P50 per head one way).

So I arrived there first and the others took a while to get there so I decided to settle our reservations because I feared we might lose the reserved room. I originally reserved for dorm room good for 4 (costs P2600) and add 2 extra persons (P650 each pax) but the receptionist suggested we take the dorm room good for 6 as they were just the same price, so I agreed to her suggestion.


She asked if we brought food and I said yes but I haggled and politely requested for a discount since we were getting a room. I intentionally wanted to just ask for discount but instead she waived the corkage fee which was absolutely fantastic. I was able to save P200. We did not bring any softdrinks which later on I regretted because they did not check our bags (if only I knew, we could have sneaked some drinks without corkage). Anyway, it was still okay because all that we paid for is the room accommodation.



So on with the review…

The resort is pricey and they charge corkage for food which I think is pretty ridiculous especially if the entrance fee and the room rates are already expensive. I would understand corkage fee for soft drinks and liquors and letchon because that is the standard for the rest of the resorts I’ve been to. But charging corkage for bringing your own cooked food is pretty ridiculous. The day tour rate is P250 which is only inclusive of use of basic amenities (beach, pool, and public restrooms). According to the staff I talked to on the phone, umbrella type table with chairs costs P350. So I don’t get why they still charge corkage for food.





Also, they do not allow overnight stay if you are not getting a room. So if you intend to stay overnight, you need to book a room. And even when you booked a room, you still need to pay for the corkage fee. See how ridiculous that is. However, if you are good with talking your way with people, you can probably haggle for the corkage. I got lucky because the first person I talked to about the rates didn’t give me discount but the next person who accommodated me was super nice that she didn’t charge for corkage anymore. Tip: just be super nice and ask politely if you can have discount for the corkage especially if you booked for the pricier room.




The dorm room was just basic with 3 bunk beds, plastic table and chairs, aircon, towels, and bathroom with toiletries (no tissue though). However, the bunk beds are not very sturdy as one minimal movement from the person below or above and it will wiggle which makes it difficult to sleep. Good thing is the upper bed was still able to hold my weight (wheew what a relief!).






The location of the dorm rooms (which are among the cheaper room options) are pretty far from the beach area and resto. Going to the beach will take about 3 – 5 minutes walk. Also, the side of the resort where the dorm rooms are located is not a nice view as they are still developing it (and there is still an ongoing development in the beach fronting the pool).







The beach area is pretty regular nothing extra ordinary (the water was a little itchy). However, I like that there are mangroves on one side of the beach which was a nice background for pics. The pool area was better (especially at night) and it’s a great backdrop for picture taking.





What I loved about this place is the staff in the reception (special mention to Jen). They are easy to talk to and was really accommodating. They answered my queries and they will even allow you to inspect the room first before they let you make the decision.

Another plus is the free breakfast that comes with our room accommodation. And they have free van service going to the ferry, but you need to reserve ahead so that you will be accommodated on the first trip.






To sum it all up, the experience was still very pleasant and we enjoyed our outing so much that I missed an appointment the next day because we left late. :)









Rates (as per my inquiries):
Dorm Room for 4 – Php2600 (extra person charge is P650)
Dorm Room for 6 – Php3900
Food Corkage: 1-5 pax – P100; 6-10 pax – P200; and prices go up as number of pax go up.
Day tour rate – Php250
Umbrella type table and chairs – P350 (I think it is free if you booked a room as we were able to use tables and chairs without fee)
Van Service Schedule: 1st trip – 11:45AM; 2nd trip 2:30PM

You Might Also Like

1 comments

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Follow Me on Bloglovin

Follow