Hair Care Journey (2017 Edition)

If you remembered, in 2015 I blogged about finding my HG shampoo and conditioner, the Happy Organics' Gugo Shampoo and Conditioner. H...


If you remembered, in 2015 I blogged about finding my HG shampoo and conditioner, the Happy Organics' Gugo Shampoo and Conditioner. However, my hair came to that plateau moment where in the products didn't work that well anymore. So last year, I was back on the search for the perfect hair products for my combination type of hair.


To expound more on my hair type, I have this weird combination of oily, frizzy, dry, untamed, semi straight from the roots and wavy on the bottom half kind of hair. Weird right? Anyway, at certain times of the day my hair type changes. Before shower, my hair is oily from the roots until the middle part and a little frizzy at the tips. After shower and after naturally air drying it, my baby hairs stand on ends and some dry strands become frizzy. Then after about an hour or two, the baby hair frizz tames down and my scalp produces just the right amount of natural oil that makes my upper part of the hair to be semi-straight and the tips to go wavy/curly -- like having a nice beach waves. Then after more than 12 hours, my hair goes back to it's pre-shower stage. So you see, that's how weird my hair is.

Another problem is having lots of hair fall, mostly due to breakage. So I had to consider all these factors in finding the right shampoo and conditioner.

Ever since I had my hands on organic shampoos, I couldn't convince myself to go back to SLS shampoos. That's why, it's a must for me to find a good organic shampoo without the hefty price tag. So I gave Human Heart Nature another try. At first I used my baby's HHN shampoo for girls. It was okay. Lesser hair fall but the problem is, it's not very bubbly for me. So I had to consume a handful for the product to produce bubbles. Since I'm sharing it with my daughter, the product doesn't last us long because I consume too much.



Then I bought my own and opted for the HHN Strengthening Shampoo in cool peppermint. I had used it for about a month and results were great. I still had hair fall but not that much anymore. It totally lessened and I was very happy that it finally worked for me. (By the way, I had already used this before, maybe 2 years ago, but it wasn't that effective back then.)



When I ran out of the Strengthening shampoo, I accidentally purchased a different variant (because the looked alike and I didn't read the label). Instead of buying the Strengthening shampoo, I picked up the Clarifying variant. It was still a good shampoo though because it's more bubbly than the Strengthening variant and I really felt like my hair and scalp was really clean every after wash. I just noticed more hair fall with it but it was still not the alarming amount of hair fall.



I will probably buy the strengthening shampoo again and just use it on most days and use the clarifying shampoo once or twice a week.

As for my conditioner, I could tolerate using commercial conditioners since most of them don't have SLS in it. Anyway, for the past year, I have emptied Dove Oxygen & Nourishment Conditioner,  Dove Intense Repair Conditioner, Dove Hair Fall Rescue Conditioner, Dove Daily Treatment Intense Repair Conditioner, and Daily Defense Keratin Conditioner (sorry forgot to take pics because I didn't think I was going to blog about it).

Based on my experience with the above mentioned conditioners, the Dove conditioners pretty much did the job okay. All the Dove conditioners I tried didn't aggravate my hair fall problem and it all helped with taming my frizz. However, at some point, I felt like the taming effects weren't that great after continued use. Somehow my hair grew accustomed to Dove that it just didn't have that same effect as with the first few months of use. Also, I read somewhere that one should alternate using hair care products because there's a tendency for the hair to hit plateau (product doesn't work anymore).

So, I introduced my hair to Daily Defense Keratin Conditioner (from Watsons) as I heard Keratin infused hair products are good. I like this conditioner at the first few weeks of use because my hair was soft and easy to finger comb. However, my hair fall worsened while I used it. I'm a cheapskate so I emptied the bottle just to not put my money to waste.

The next conditioner I tried was Pantene 3 minute miracle conditioner. I was scavenging through our bathroom essentials cabinet when I found a sample size of this conditioner that my brother won from a healthcare contest at work.


I instantly noticed lesser hair strands when I shower and my hair is really soft with it. I had already emptied two bottles as of this writing and am already on my third one. I love this conditioner because it didn't aggravate my hair fall problem and it goes well with my HHN Strengthening or Clarifying shampoos. Also, it made a very huge improvement on my hair. I would still get those excessive oils when I hit the 12 hours mark after washing but it is not anymore super oily. Also my hair doesn't feel limp and lifeless and it did a very good job with my waves.

I am not a super fan of combing my hair. I only comb my hair before shower and before sleeping. Sometimes I comb it when I come home from work because the jeepney ride really messed my hair up. But I am so happy that I get very less tangles and very less hair fall. This conditioner really helped manage all my hair problems. So this will definitely be a staple in my hair care regimen (for now).

P.S. Reactions to these products vary for each person, so what may work for me may not work for you. Thanks for reading and hope this post helped you with your hair dilemma. :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

INSTAGRAM

Followers

Follow Me on Bloglovin

Follow